Monday, May 5, 2008

May 3, 2008 - Avenue of Giants - Redcrest, CA

Mike and I are in Redcrest, CA. It is a tiny town (112 residents). We are the only people in the entire RV park. At first, I was a bit scared to be the only ones in the entire park, but it is pretty nice. When I went in to the office this morning to pay, the owner gave me two souvenir coffee mugs because we are the first people to stay here this year. This is only the second year for this RV park, so it is not well known.

Today we took a 36 mile drive down the Avenue of Giants. This is the name given to this section of Hwy 101 in Northern CA. It is named this because there are large groves of redwoods all along this 36 mile section of Hwy 101. Plus, there was a side road we took to see a virgin grove of redwoods called Rockefeller Grove. Mike and I keep saying "WOW" over and over again as we drove along. It is so amazing to see all these huge trees. We were trying to come up with a description of how we felt in these forest groves. Mike said it was like being back in time with the dinosaurs. I said it made me think of being in a fairy tale forest. You drive along and you are feel like you are in a tunnel of trees with huge ferns and clover and moss covering the forest floor. It is cool and dark except where the sunshine rays are able to penetrate the foliage of the trees. It is unlike any place I have ever visited. I hope our pictures can give you a feel for this beautiful piece of planet Earth.

Tomorrow we are driving to Crescent City, CA which is on the CA coast almost on the Oregon line.

No comments: