Monday, March 17, 2008

March 16, 2008

Bet you wonder where I have been! Well, Mike got me out in the boonies again. This time it was on a penisula in the Gulf of Mexico off the Florida coast. We were at the St. Joseph Pensuila State Park near St. Joe, FL. It was nice there, but we did not have the best weather. It was cold and windy the day we arrived. We walked on the beach anyway. Why be at the beach and not be on the beach - no matter the weather. The next day was beautiful and we got out and enjoyed the penisula. The next day it rained all day long and we had to move to another site. Mike was not able to get us the same site for all four days. It was a terrible day to have to move. The last day were were there it was so foggy that we could not even see the ocean.

The penisula is long (over 7 miles long). It starts off with the typical beach housing and then there is a few miles of nothing but dunes followed by the entrance into the state park. There are two campgrounds and some cottages beyond the campgrounds. We were in the campground closest to the Gulf. In fact, our spot was the first one. It was a great spot until the wind picked up and then it was not so great. The wind was pretty strong and it would hit the camper and we could feel it. It was not nearly strong enough to turn us over, but it did shake us a bit. This reminds me that I wanted to tell you about a sign we saw coming into St. Joe. It said - Only 85 Days Till Hurricane Season. What a reminder. It was sort of like - Only 30 Days Till Christmas - only the present you get is not quite the same.

We stayed on the penisula for four days. We had one great day of weather and we took advantage of it to walk and ride the bike. I actually rode for a few miles without having to stop. Of course, the terrain is pretty flat so that is not saying much. Mike and I took a long walk on the beach and saw a beautiful sunset. We got some pictures of the sunset that I plan to put on this blog as soon as we get somewhere where we have wireless. Right now, I'm on a wireless card and it won't handle the loading of pictures.

Now hold onto your hats - I did not enter a store except one grocery store for two weeks. On March 14th, I had to get a fix. Unfortunately, there are not many places to go in Port St. Joe. We drove to Panama City and I got to go to Wal-Mart. I never knew I'd be so happy to visit Wal-Mart, but I was. In fact, I completely enjoyed my time there. I did not buy anything other than some groceries, but I got my fix.

I need to fix dinner now so I am going to log off. I'll get back on later and update you on our trip to Mobile, AL. Talk to you all soon.

No comments: