Friday, March 7, 2008

March 7,2008

Time to update you on what Mike and I have been up to for the past few days. We left Cheraw, SC on Wednesday morning and drove to Hickory Knob State Park on Strom Thurman lake which is on the SC and GA line. We are on the SC side of the lake. We decided to take the country roads to get here from Cheraw which took us very close to Ninety Six (where Sherry is moving after leaving GSK). I wanted to see Ninety Six and we took the roads that would lead us there. Before we got to Ninety Six, though, we decided to look at a campground at Lake Greenwood which is very close to Ninety Six. Wow - what a nice lake and campground. Sherry will be having company next year because Mike and I plan to come down here for a week or so. It is a beautiful place with lots of very nice homes surrounding the lake. The campground is right on the water too.

We left the campground at Greenwood Lake and drove through Ninety Six. Mike said we did not get to see the historic district. He saw a sign saying it was to our left. Oh well, we did get to see a little bit of the town. I can see why Sherry would want to come here to retire. It is a very nice place and it is not out in the boonies like I originally thought. It is close to Greenwood, SC which is a nice size town.

After leaving Ninety Six, we drove down to our campground on Strom Thurman lake. Boy, is it deserted. I guess there are so many places to camp here that no place has many people staying at this time of the year. We are one of three campers here. Yesterday, Mike played golf and I was the only person in the campground. Just me and my two dogs. At first, I was a little frightened to be here by myself. But, I soon got over that and enjoyed my day here. Mike had hooked up the Direct TV and I watched QVC and did some organizing in here. I had a lot of stuff on the desk area that needed to find a home. Once I got all that done, I turned off the TV and went out on the porch and started working on some embroidery hand work I want to get done for a Christmas quilt. I actually found that being alone with nature is very relaxing. There were people around in boats on the lake from time to time, but mostly I was alone.

Last night, Mike and I had our first campfire of our trip. It was so nice to sit out under the stars and drink a glass or two of good wine and stare into the fire. We stayed out there for a long time just enjoying the fire and being together.

Mike intended to play golf today (Friday), but we woke up to rain on the roof. In the camper the rain sounds so nice hitting the roof. Today is a great day to stay in and read a book - and that is exactly what we are going to do.

Talk to you all again soon.

1 comment:

wild bunch in cary said...

That sounds really nice mom ~ sitting out in nature - are you sure you are not me ? Tell Dad I love him and give the dogs a rub - I think the kids have realized that they won't see you all for a while - I don't think they quite got that. esp. Jaeden - lots of love to you - and keep safe.