Thursday, March 20, 2008

March 18, 2008 - Mobile, AL

I’m trying something different today. I’m writing this in Microsoft Word and then copying it into my blog. I’ve had trouble with the wireless service going down while I’m writing and I have to start all over again. Hopefully, this will work.

So, where did I leave you? I think I had gotten us to Mobile, AL. That would have been on Sunday on March 16th. I’ll start with what we have been doing since we have been here in Mobile.
Monday we just chilled out here in the campground. It is a beautiful campground with only a few people staying here. There are no facilities here to attract kids, so the people here are either people who are working in this area or retirees like us. The spaces are very large and we have a nice grassy yard and a wooden deck to sit on. We had to drive to the post office to pick up our mail that Tish (our daughter) is forwarding on to us. The post office was over 10 miles away. This was not the closest post office to us, but we did not know that when we told Tish where to send our mail. Anyway, we got to see the countrhside. It is pretty here – low and swampy in places, but there are tons of azaleas in bloom. There are also lots of places where you can see that there is poverty, but also lots of beautiful homes. This area is very close to the gulf and there are many beach type homes here.

Later we drove over to Dolphin Island. It is about 10 miles in another direction. The island is pretty and there is an old fort there. There is also a car ferry there that takes people from the island to a port in Mobile. The weather here has been very windy and the ferry was closed due to the bad weather. The island appears to have a lot of permanent residents. That would explain why we hear so much traffic in the morning and afternoon when people are going to and from work.

No comments: