Friday, April 4, 2008

April 4, 2008 Day Trip to Taos, NM

Today we took a day trip to the ski resort city of Taos, NM. Our trip took us out of Santa Fe up US 84 to Taos. After leaving the outskirts of Santa Fe, we passed several small cities including Espanola. We saw the turn off for the city of Los Alamos which was where the first atomic bomb was developed. I can see how the government could have a secret facility out here. There are huge expanses of land without any signs of human life. The trip to Taos took us up along the Rio Grande river. The river was flowing along swiftly and the farther we went, the more rapids we saw. In the spring when the mountain snows melt, they have white water rafting on the river. We got into Taos around noon. It took us about an hour to drive from Santa Fe to Taos.

Taos is a small town but there are a lot of shops and restaurants there which must be because of the skiing that is close by. We did not see the ski slopes because they are out from the town and we did not want to make the drive up to where they are located. Our drive out of Taos took us North and West on US 64. About 7 miles out of Taos, we came the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. The bridge crosses over the Rio Grande river over 1,500 to 2,000 feet below. There is a place to park and a walkway and two observation decks on each side of the bridge. I started out on the bridge with the two dogs on a leash and saw that someone had placed a cross and flowers just to the side of the bridge where the cliff begins. When I got out a short way on the bridge, I saw the remains of the car far below. I continued to walk out on the bridge but only got out a short way when the height got to me. I turned and practically ran back to safe ground. All this time, Mike was way out on the bridge snapping pictures. He stepped out on the overlooks and it made me weak because I could see that there was nothing under him. If that concrete gave out, he was a gonner. Of course, this was not going to happen, but the thought did cross my mine. I knew that I was not going to step out there if I somehow made it out that far on the bridge. Mike came back toward me and took the dogs and asked me if I wanted to go out and see the river. Without the dogs pulling me along, it was a bit easier. Not much, but enough to allow me to get out to that observation deck. Mike encouraged me to step out on it and I did, but only for a second. I could only think about there being nothing under me but that slab of concrete. I know this is silly since there is nothing under me on the bridge but concrete and the infrastructure of the bridge. But my mind told me I was safer on the bridge. Anyway, I did get out on the bridge far enough to see the river far below. Mike held my hand and helped me go across to the other side of the bridge and look down to see the river on that side where it was swift enough to create rapids. It was a sight to behold and I'm very glad I did it, but I was also glad when I got back to solid ground.

After the adventure on the bridge, I spent some time looking a jewelry from several vendors who had set up tables at the parking lot next to the bridge. One lady had some really beautiful things and I made several purchases. I also got some crystals for my grandkids. With all of my purchases in hand, I made my way to the truck where Mike and the dogs were waiting on me. See how quickly I forgot about my fear of heights when presented with an opportunity to go shopping!

After leaving the Rio Grande, we continued on US 64. Not too far down the road, we came to what I guess I could call a housing development. There were probably 10 homes on large pieces of ground. What was special about these home was they were underground on three sides. Some were quite interesting.

We continued on and were planning on staying on US 64 but when we came to where US 285 crossed, there was a sign saying that US 64 was closed due to blowing and drifting snow. So, we took US 285 and headed back to Santa Fe. Later when we had time to look at the map and estimate how long taking US 64 would have taken, we were glad it was closed. It would have probably have taken us two or more hours to go that way.

So, we got back to Santa Fe around 4pm and Mike was kind enough to take me back to a quilt shop I visited yesterday so I could buy a book. It was calling to me and I gave in to the calling. Then we went back to Castro's for dinner. We were not disappointed in our meal there. We each got a different dish from what we got the first night here and more of that delicious bread. I'm going to check out the internet to see if there is a recipe for that bread. I'd love to learn how to make it.

Well, I guess that is enough for tonight. I need to load some pictures for you to check out. I'll talk to you all soon. We're off tomorrow for AZ.

No comments: